Tuesday, February 8, 2011

38/365- Manipulation

It's hard to say no to a face like this. Especially when that smile is turned to a pitifully sad face. When he gives you the sad face and turns on the water works, he makes you think he'll be scarred forever if you turn around and walk away. You see, Jaden is no longer satisfied with being laid down and going to sleep. Someone in our house has begun to pamper this little turd-muffin by holding and rocking him until his lights go out. (Not me!) I mean, yeah I love holding the little tyke but when its bed time, tears don't go far with me.


I know all the women who read this will tell me that I'm cruel or cold hearted, but I don't buy it. I think its manipulation! He's not hungry, not hurting, and constantly being changed, so... why the crying? Plain and simple, he's getting what he needs and not what he wants.


How often do we do this to our Heavenly Father? When things don't pan out the way that we think they should, we turn on the water works, fall down, and cry about how unfair life is. Then we think God is ignoring us or cruel for not immediately coming to rescue us from the things we've gotten ourselves into. Do we try to manipulate God?


God always gives us what we need, and hears every scream that we cry. Just as listening to Jaden cry breaks my heart, I have no doubt that our cries touch God's heart. Yet I have faith that when He doesn't rush into the room to scoop me out of my "misery", its for my own good.


I will say though, I'm pretty sure God rushes in and scoops me up more than I run to pick Jaden up. I think it has something to do with His infinite compassion... and I'm still learning about when to intervene, and when to just listen.

-Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment