Tuesday, February 15, 2011

46/365: Keys

When I was 3 years old my mom started teaching me the piano. A little young? Maybe. By the time I was in the 4th grade I was playing simple versions of Beethoven and Bach. I practiced, but I never got something right. I had trouble memorizing the note patterns and even more trouble with using the proper fingers for each key as listed in my theory books. This frustrated teachers and myself.

My mom is an amazing pianist. She really is. I remember growing up hearing her play her emotions out through our old piano while I pretended not to hear her from upstairs or in the living room. Sometimes she would sit down and go through a book with ease; song by song, without missing a note. Other times, she played by ear: her specialty. She'd play familiar songs, favorites of my grandfather's, gospel, and spirituals. This is where she truly shined. She can probably play anything by ear.

I always liked the idea of completing a piece but hated practicing. Thus is the story of so many young pianists. When I was in the third grade my dad taught me how to throw a softball...and I never saw piano the same again. :) I finally quit piano in probably the 7th grade. Sports took up most of my extra time and if it wasn't for mom, our piano keys would have become very dusty.

Fast forward to present day. Now, I know I'm not old, but I am older...and my body is older...and I've had a baby. Let's face it. I can't run as fast as I used to or probably throw as hard as I used to. I'm starting to regret my neglect for our old piano. My mom always said that music is something that you can do your entire lifetime. I was going to be an athlete my entire lifetime, but I'm realizing, she's right. You don't have to be in shape to enjoy, play, or hear music. Music is universal. It can be an outlet for emotion and the right lyrics can speak to you on a level that no conversation can.

Our house we current live in has a piano. It actually was part of the deal with living in the house. It's terribly out of tune and there's a b flat key hammer that sticks when you strike it. Since we've moved to Missouri I've taken it back up a little bit and have successfully been able to play a few songs that I picked sheet music out for, no classical for me, and I only play when I feel like it. :)
I've learned something about myself though. I struggle still at times at reading the notes, but I'm most comfortable without any sheet music in front of me at all.

I guess I'm a lot like mom.

I like to challenge myself to try to pick out songs I hear that have a big key sound in them, artists like Sara Bareilles and Ingrid Michaelson. (two of my fave's)

Something else I've done since I've started playing again is playing praise and worship. There's something powerful about praising God through your voice and an instrument.

I hope that Jaden picks up some sort of musical talent from his parents. If he doesn't it's ok, but I have a feeling he'll get something from us. It's a pretty big part of our family. He already likes being sang to sleep and often times hums along. Tonight as I sat down to perfect a piece, he decided to try and play along with me, now that he's pulling up on EVERYTHING. :)

Even though I didn't stick with it growing up, I'm glad that I have a great foundation to build upon. I'll never be a concert pianist, but I will forever continue to praise God through the music I play...for my entire lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment