Tuesday, May 3, 2011

121/365: Beauty

I had the opportunity to photograph a wedding alongside a friend of mine this past Friday. The wedding was beautiful, the location, the flowers, and most of all the bride.

Every girl dreams of her wedding day, and I've never seen an ugly bride. Every woman is truly beautiful on her wedding day. I have many favorite things about a wedding day. One of them is the transformation of the everyday girl to glamorous princess and the other is the reaction of her groom when he sees her for the first time.
I love when husbands refer to their spouse as their "bride". Especially those who have been married for a number of years. It's so sweet.

Somedays I wish I could feel the way I did on my wedding day. I can remember in particular right after Jaden was born, in sweats and spit up, I would catch myself drowsily daydreaming about how pretty I felt on that special day. I am assuming I'm not the only girl who feels this way. What happens between the now and the "day of your dreams"? Life happens I suppose.
As I sit here tonight in my old Blankenship Construction, coach pitch softball t-shirt, no makeup, and wet hair, that I realize that I have found my answer.

So why do girls love things like weddings and proms? Because every girl wants to feel beautiful and wants others, particularly one other person to think that they are beautiful.

Here's what the word of God says:

"For your royal husband delights in your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord." - Psalm 45:11

There are three things I love about this verse. (and I like lists)

1. God is referred to as "your royal husband" and in some translations, "king". This implies that if you are a follower of Christ, you are royalty in the kingdom of God.

2. I'm certain that there are no translations that add in "on your wedding/prom day". He thinks your beautiful; always.

3. Just the fact that the creator of the universe would call you beautiful- that makes me smile and even gives me goosebumps at times.

I'm convinced that every woman is beautiful, no matter what their size, shape, race, imperfections, or quirks. If you're reading this tonight, remind your "bride" how beautiful you think she truly is. It will make her day.

No comments:

Post a Comment