Sunday, April 10, 2011

101/365: The Preacher's Wife

I just got home tonight from a weekend with 59 (ish) other women. We traveled to southern Missouri as a large caravan. People probably thought we were a little crazy, but it was fun. I could write about everything that we did, but instead I wanted to share something that we heard in church today. We were privileged to hear the pastor's wife speak at a church who is a published author and speaker. She shared her testimony, and also gave encouragement about self- esteem issues. Something that hit me was when she talked about the pre-conceived notions/stereotypes of being a pastor's wife. It made me giggle a little bit and I'll share why later. Here are some of the things she mentioned.

A pastor's wife....
- sings, plays piano
- spends hours a day on her knees in prayer
- always has a smile on her face
- has a perfect marriage and perfect children
- volunteers for every ministry her church offers
- leads Bible study/teaches Sunday school every week
- is on time to everything
-is a teacher
- dressed to the hills always

If you know me very well, you'll see that I have about 2 of these down. :) There of course were other things she mentioned that people think about pastor's wives, none of which were true of me.

When we started talking about going into the ministry I was apprehensive- and this is why. Then a couple of years ago I met a pastor's wife who didn't fit the mold...and I realized that I would be ok. Obviously I am not a "pastor's wife" but a "youth pastor's wife". However, the stereotypes remain the same, if not more.

I admit I need to pray more, and some days I feel depressed. Our marriage has flaws, and Jaden can be a turd. I work in 1 ministry and only teach Sunday school occasionally. I am rarely on time, I've never wanted to be a teacher, and I wear sweat pants and t shirts to Sunday night youth.

Sue me. Just kidding.

My name is Mary Kim, and I'm a non-traditional pastor's wife. ;)
(not Mormon)

and I'm ok with that.

2 comments: