Wednesday, April 20, 2011

111/365: Asian Cowgirl

These are not my legs, nor my boots. Are you kidding? I could never pass for wearing these awesome boots, mainly because I'm Asian. :)

These boots are from a senior session I had earlier this week from a beautiful girl from my hometown.

Stephen and I actually discussed the other day about how being Asian would have been so different back during western days in America. Stephen would have been a cowboy or deputy rounding up all the bad guys and I would have been working on the railroad...or a brothel. We kind of had a chuckle about it and it made me glad that I was born when I was. Then Stephen made the comment about Shanghai Noon and how Jackie Chan was an Asian cowboy. I then reminded him that it was a movie. ;)

It's funny that I really only think about looking different when someone brings it up (awkwardly or rudely), or when we talk about history. I obviously see myself in the mirror everyday (well, most days) but I've just never felt that different than any other American citizen. When I was a kid I was teased about the way I looked by kids in my class, but that wore off in the first couple of years and I eventually blended right in, or so it seemed. In fact, a friend of mine I grew up with didn't realize I was adopted till the 6th grade. (I love you Christy Lutz)

I never really thought about it too much till I went to college when you start trying to establish your individuality rather than try so hard to fit in. I wasn't blond and tall like a lot of my girl friends, and I couldn't wear cowboy boots or cowboy hats (when they were the fad) without looking ridiculous, or like I was Jackie Chan. I COULD keep a tan for longer though. haha. I've eventually come to embrace that I look different, and I am ok with it. :)

Who knows...maybe someday I'll step out of my house in cowboy boots and a cowboy hat and just not care.

2 comments:

  1. mary kim. my husband is chinese and you KNOW he wears cowboy boots! and cowboy shirts and listens to country music. if he can be a chinese cowboy, you can be a Korean cowgirl!!! yeehaa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha!!! Yeah, and he TOTALLY pulls it off too! I forgot about that!

    ReplyDelete