Tuesday, April 5, 2011

96/365: How to Catch a Mouse


I know we are behind...again. After this post we should be caught up. I'd intended on posting a simple post of Pioneer Woman's Chicken Tortilla soup that I'd made tonight. Then something more interesting happened to me. First off, the soup was excellent. It must have smelled so good that another furry little creature couldn't resist the smells coming from the stove. When I went back to the kitchen I discovered a mouse. Yes, a mouse!! Growing up I never saw a mouse in our house. (please excuse my Dr. Seusness) I used to think it was silly how people got so worked up about them and screamed and carried on. I am sad and embarrassed to say, that our neighbors may have thought I was getting murdered in my kitchen when I saw him scamper across the back of the counter. I wasn't about to let him just get away though. So, here's what I did.

First off, he was trapped in the corner behind the microwave. I kept him there for a while by yelling things and throwing random objects towards him when he would poke his little head out.

This lasted about 15 min.

I got this grand idea that I'd trap him in an empty canister I had by luring him in with peanut butter. However, I was fearful that if I took my eye off of the microwave he'd make a run for it.
So, eventually I calmed myself from throwing things at him and he got brave and ran to the other side of the counter. Little did he know that I had my canister ready for him! Ha Ha!! I got him!
I didn't get his tail though. I thought about cutting it off with the canister, but then thought that would be extremely gross. So, there I stood, mouse under canister. I thought to grab something flat to slide under him to trap him, but I was fearful of moving my hand too much because the canisters I have are lightweight.

So then I did what any closet girlie girl does. I called my knight in shining armor. Stephen was at men's Bible study, and I can only imagine the conversation they had about me when I got off the phone. I think he got a good chuckle and head shake out of my frantic call about our killer mouse. I became a chicken and followed Stephen's lead by putting a bowl on top of the canister, and the toaster, and just in case that wasn't enough- a full bottle of windex for a little extra weight.

What?! It's the closest things I had available?

It's still sitting like this waiting for him when he get's home.
I kept checking to see if I could still see his little tail under the gap between the counter and the bowl to make sure my inmate was still there. I'm holding back from going back down stairs to check every 5 minutes. I think I may be a little bit of a mouse torturer too. I was trying to gas him out by spraying bleach cleaner around the edges of the trap.

I've spent the last 45 min. sanitizing everything on my kitchen counter. I smell like bleach and every dish that was washed and dried, is now washed and drying again.

So that's how I catch a mouse. I even gave a mouse speech after I trapped him, just in case any other furry critters were listening. Something along the lines of "yeah you better stay out of my kitchen, or this is what'll happen to ya! ya hear me? You hear me?"

My tone may have been slightly elevated due to the adrenaline rushing through me, and I'm fairly certain that my finger was shaking, I had crazy eyes and my chin was protruding.

I told them. I got them good.

No comments:

Post a Comment