Thursday, March 17, 2011

77/365- Dirty Job...




Ever heard someone say "its a dirty job, but someone has to do it"? Well today was one of those days. I spent several hours playing "cowboy" today. Cory and I chased down and tackled calves to put a tag in their ear, and remove their... seeds (if they had'em). I have to admit, it was a little different than I imagined it, but I got used to it after the first one.




So to enlighten those of you who have never had this experience, it begins with chasing the calf down and separating it from it's mother. We used the modern day horse (ATV's) to chase them down. Then you grab, or in my case "tackle", the calf and hold it down to pierce and tag its ear. The removing the seed part... well... we won't get into that. So 9 calves later, you look kinda like this.




Although to be honest, some of the mud came from me rolling a 4 wheeler in a creek and not from the calves. Everything turned out good, but laying on my back in the creek watching the ATV rolling toward me sure got my heart pumping. It got my feet moving too and I got away from it. The best part was Cory having to get into the creek with me to roll it back over. That'll teach him to laugh at me! :)




All in a days work... oh wait... it was on my day off. That's my kind of fun. Is that normal?




-Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment