Sunday, March 27, 2011

87/365: Hidden Treasures

Antiquing....I hate it. This probably proves that I need to be more patient. I recently have been doing a small amount of antiquing, trying to find the perfect props for some upcoming photo shoots. So far I have been less successful than I would have liked to have been. I've left countless antique shops with a total of 2 props in the past 2 months. I still have my eye out for an old antique couch/loveseat and a chair or 2 (at a decent price). Here's the basics of antiquing...Mary Kim style. Most of the time it is an accidental antique shopping trip. I'll be out and drive by a consignment shop or antique mall and feel compelled to stop in to try to find that perfect prop. I usually have Jaden with me so I haul him out (hopefully in the stroller) and spend anywhere from 1-2 hours browsing through junk, and some unique and overly priced items that I never could and never would pay for. Jaden enjoys making all the elderly female employees smile and marvel over how precious he is as he kicks his feet to his own rhythm in his head, sucks his thumb, snuggles his blankie, and looks at all the potential toys he could play with. I am certain to keep him far enough away that he cannot reach anything. I usually end up leaving the store with nothing but disappointment, and Jaden with a new friend or 2.

Then there is the occasional hidden treasure that I will find, and it makes it totally worth it. This is one such find. I had been looking for an old vintage camera for a while now. When my dreams of having a beautiful furnished home office for the business come true, (notice I say WHEN...hopeful thinking) I would love to add some vintage photography items in the room. I have zero experience with film, old box cameras/flashes, or even darkroom experience. I have however fallen into the trap of loving vintage. This is a 1950's Spartus 6-20 camera, whatever that means. I love the look though. ;)

Hoping more hidden treasures are in my future.

1 comment:

  1. This picture popped up in my newsfeed and I was wondering what it was!

    Looks cool!

    I live within walking distance of 3 thrift shops that are all amazing. I've had to keep myself from stopping all the time or else my apartment would be filled with stuff!

    ReplyDelete